Sunday, November 2, 2008

My paper negative


WHAT WORKED

After setting up the equipment teammates we found different locations on campus to take our shots. I then had the opportunity to manipulate the view camera and frame my compositions the way I wanted. Once I was certain that my first subject was properly in focus I took my shot. I then applied the same principle for my second subject and shot. When I developed the paper negatives I had two images of my subjects that were properly framed.


WHAT DIDN’T WORK

I wasn’t able to block the outside light properly and it made it hard to see the inverted image on the back of the view camera. I thought that my second subject was in focus and that my first subject was blurred and it was not the case. Once the paper negative was developed, scanned, and the image inverted in Photoshop I was able to see that the background was in focus.


WHAT I WOULD DO NEXT TIME

I would try to have a perfect view of the inverted image on the back of the view camera. To achieve my goal, I would probably have with me something that would help me create a light tight environment.


SHOOTING A VIEW CAMERA VS A D-SLR

With a D-SLR camera I am able to take as many shots as are allowed by the capacity of my memory card. I am also capable in a short period of time to try as many angles as I choose. Consequently, shooting with a view camera is more demanding and time consuming but I have to admit gratifying.

No comments: