Saturday, November 1, 2008

My pinhole camera

















PROCESS

For my pinhole camera I used was 8 inches in length and 5 inches wide. The size of the box determined that the pinhole camera would be a wide angle and use a photographic 5 X 7 paper size. The next step was to make sure that the sides of the box were sealed properly so that no light would enter except through the pinhole. I then proceeded to paint the inside of the box and lid completely black and to let them dry. On the lid I made a hole big enough to stick a small piece of brass where the pinhole would be made.

Through different calculations demonstrated in the previous diagrams I was able to establish the focal length (55), the size of the pinhole (0.3), the f/stop (183), and the exposure on a sunny day (f/16 = 32 sec).

Once all the details were finalized I was ready to test my pinhole camera. My first shot was taken on a very cloudy and rainy day. Once I had decided on the composition I wanted for my first test I let my photographic paper exposed for 8 minutes. My paper negative was later developed in the darkroom at school and scanned into a 16 bit image. This image was inverted and turned into a positive. I then changed the image into an 8 bit and was able to save it as a JPEG file.


WHAT WORKED

Through the examples demonstrated in class I was able to see and understand step by step the process. I was than capable to apply that process to build my own pinhole camera which took one class period to achieve. During the next class, I loaded my camera in the dark room with photographic paper. I adjusted my exposure calculation for a cloudy day and took my first shot with my pinhole camera at the college.


WHAT I DISCOVERED

The process is different from what I am use to with my DSLR camera. What I mean is that it is a lot easier with a DSLR to frame and get the composition I am looking for. Therefore, it is always possible to make different adjustments in my menu to obtain the appropriate settings for the different types of light patterns.

Although, working with a pinhole camera made me stop, think, and take my time when it came to framing my composition, I only had one photographic paper inside the camera and therefore one shot.

WHAT I WOULD DO NEXT TIME
I would like to have more photographic paper with me and change it on location without having to go back to the darkroom. Furthermore, I would make myself a light proof pocket that would allow me to change my photographic paper on location and keep the ones already exposed in a safe place.

No comments: