Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Pinhole Camera (grayscale)

Foot Bridge in the Mist - 4x5 Film Pinhole Photograph



I was able to find the picture of a “Foot Bridge in the Mist” through an image search for a pinhole camera photograph in Google.

This black and white picture was taken with a “4 x 5 film pinhole camera”. It is the view of a suspended bridge on a rainy and foggy day. The rails, fences, cables, and the reflection of the rails give a strong rhythm to this image. The use of a deep depth of field keeps the image in focus and forces us to look far and deep into the image.

I believe the photograph wants us to stop, look, and imagine how far the bridge goes. The foggy weather does not allow us to see the end of the bridge; we can only imagine the rest without certainty.

When I first looked at this picture I thought that the image looked perfectly symmetrical and that I was being shown where to draw the perfect line to find the middle. As my eyes followed that imaginary line and the rails into the back of the picture it created a great vantage point effect.

In my opinion this picture is a successful one. The photographer was able to achieve the vantage point effect he wanted to create by using symmetry and rhythm, thus, producing a visual effect that helped me march to the unseen.

No comments: